Just a quick note of some of the funnest content I consumed last month (in no particular order):
– Awkwafina gave a couple quick-fire interviews to ELLE (UK) and Bazaar (UK)… then “broke down” various on-screen/red-carpet looks for WhoWhatWear. She also went full Goth in an episode (#2.06) of her sitcom, Nora From Queens, but sadly it was only for a couple scenes, as her way of “acting out” at her father. Incidentally, I still can’t get used to seeing BD Wong playing an easy-going everyman, rather than a stylised super-villain… somone get that guy a death-ray, stat!
– ELLE (US) challenged St. Vincent to a game of “song association”… and if you don’t find yourself yelling the name of a certain Nick Cave single at the screen by the end of it, then I’m afraid we can never be friends.
– Chvrches performed three songs (“California“, “Good Girls“, and “He Said She Said“) from their new album (Screen Violence) for CBS Mornings… which seems like rather an odd booking to me, considering how bleak some of the lyrics/themes are. Lauren Mayberry has also been sharing behind-the-scenes clips (to TikTok and Instagram) of how each track came to be, along with other exclusive snippets.
– Warner Bros (yo!) posted a “gag reel” from The Suicide Squad (2021)… the highlight of which for me was seeing Steve Agee standing-in for ‘King Shark’ on set, wearing a fish-shaped frame around his head!
– What We Do in the Shadows kicked off its third season by switching up the premise a little, and adding Kristen Schaal as a recurring/supporting vamp character (yay!), while another of Schaal’s beloved shows, Bob’s Burgers, returned for its twelfth season (yay again!). Shamefully, I’ve started to take that series for granted these days, but it’s worth re-stating how sweet, funny, and cheering every episode is. Apparently, there’s also a feature-length instalment in the works, scheduled for theatrical release in 2022…!?
– Taskmaster (UK) also returned for its twelfth “season”, with another batch of socially-distanced contestants, including the brilliant Victoria Coren Mitchell, Morgana Robinson, and Desiree Burch. Fabulously silly/salty fun as always… though the premiere wasn’t nearly as sweary as usual, due to an unfortunate mix-up on Ch4’s end. [Bleep]heads!
– I fast-tracked the second season of TrollsTopia (2021) when I realised that the fourth was already about to drop, and I was lagging far behind… though they’re only 6/7 episodes long these days, and I tend to skip any stories that aren’t rock-troll-centric, so it shouldn’t take me too long to catch up again! As before, I find the sometimes-shaky friendship between ‘Poppy’ (Amanda Leighton) and ‘Val’ (Lauren Mayhew) totes adorable, and love the way they ended this batch frolicking off into the sunset together. Aw!
– Writer/producer Kevin Biegel went on a (since deleted) twitter-tear, posting a slew of behind-the-scenes content from the cancelled (?) Marvel show New Warriors, which included photos of Milana Vayntrub in-costume as Squirrel Girl (plus Tippy-Toe puppet), along with the claim that the series was curb-stomped by a single executive with an anti-gay agenda! Official sources have denied that accusation, but regardless of the reason, it fills me with nerdrage/sadness that we came so close to seeing Vayntrub bring the character to life on-screen, and were so cruelly denied! Gah!
– Aaand The Pretty Reckless posted an acoustic/“unplugged” version of “Only Love Can Save Me Now”, once again showcasing Taylor Momsen’s inimitable voice.